Politics : Award Winning Viewpoints from Liberal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Thursday 2 December 2010

Archbishop of Canterbury and Elvis

http://kegels.net/photogallery/London/interior%20of%20bath%20abbey.jpg

What is happening to the Church of England? Last week, I went along to Bath Abbey to listen to my first carol service of the year. It was a celebration by local primary schools to coincide with the annual 'Christmas' market in Bath. I managed to avoid the lightening bolts, but what did strike me was the fact that it was only 25th November. I live in a world where my local hotel gets a Christmas tree in the window in October and where the major supermarkets start getting the yuletide logs on the shelf in September, but the dear old C of E overturning tradition for the sake of commercial interests took me back a little. It wasn't even Advent.

"I don't mind a bit of God in my Christmas celebrations." I was on the back foot and defending the very religious advent calender I had bought for the children. "I thought it was rather pretty and when you put a light behind it there is a stained glass effect." Sounds terrible doesn't it? It's the Catholic in me and Catholics love kitsch. Lourdes makes Elvis's 'jungle room' at Graceland look positively restrained. Meanwhile my wife accepted my position with typical grace, her shoulders barely sagging under the weight of another one of my philosophical positions. Still, the unspoken refrain echoed around the dinner table, "WHERE'S THE CHOCOLATE, DAD?"

Now, in my book, and this might come as a shock to many of you, Christmas is not just about chocolate. "What's Christmas about?" I asked my nine year old daughter.  "Christmas is about presents, making people happy, but not God (she volunteered without any prompting), unless it is to go to Church to get one of those orange things and see our friends." I think she meant the Christingle orange that all the children receive at the Christmas Eve service we attend. The candle and attached sweets are a great attraction to small children. I brushed aside a proud humanist tear.

sailboat : cruising sailing-yacht <br> (5 cabins) IMPRESSION 514 Elan d.o.o.
My Christmas present
So why Church? Each year I have visions of friends and family singing carols around the piano and the children satisfied with one of my old football socks stuffed with a tangerine and some walnuts. Then I remember that I'm not Bob Cratchit, but instead, a rather self-indulgent 40 year old who likes a present or two himself - I'm still holding out for a yacht. However, more than the gifts, what makes Christmas special for most of us, I suspect, is we all have a variety of routines and family traditions providing a sense of reassurance that, quite simply, we are not alone.

Church and carol services are a pretty important part of the Christmas experience. For most, it will be the only visit to Church all year, but, there is no doubt that Christmas would not be the same for us and many friends, without carols, possibly a moment of collective reflection, followed by a beer and some laughter. We might not believe in God, but Church still provides one of the rare occasions when the community comes together. Perhaps, that is why despite losing my religious faith many years ago, I have maintained a great belief in acts of collective worship.

Choir boys at St Paul's Cathedral: Silent Night has been named as the greatest Christmas carol of all time. I don't think that is as hypocritical as it sounds. Ritual is pretty important to human-beings. All known societies have practised rituals and although they serve a variety of purposes, spiritual, emotional or contemplative - they almost always strengthen social bonds between people. Not long ago that was vital to survival but in our individualistic age perhaps it is more important to our psychological well-being. Communal activity is intrinsically satisfying. Whether it is chanting at a football match or singing at a carol service we feel better for it.

Can that justify the Abbey holding a carol service in November? Please follow me over the pond. While Christianity has been in steady decline in Europe, the USA has seen a blossoming of Christian Churches. Research strongly suggests that one of the reasons for this success has been their willingness to embrace market forces. That means that instead of a limited number of denominations being tied to rigid teachings like in Europe, a huge variety of Churches have emerged in the US to cater for the wide range of tastes and attitudes. In other words, if you want to express a form of Christian spirituality then there is a flavour to suit you. It's the perfect market.

The market mechanism can extend into the service. I have been told by a preacher in Memphis that if I gave his Church $10 then he would pray and something good would happen to me but if I gave him $100 then something really good would happen to me. I stuck with the $10 and had a very nice meal that night. In these market driven times that might be the sort of deal that would attract more people to Church. It seems that people aren't prepared to pay tax these days unless they receive an obvious and tangible benefit to themselves, so perhaps the Reverend Al Green's Church in Memphis is showing our old 'stuck in the mud' C of E the light. Hallelujah brothers and sisters!

So instead of driving the money lenders out of the Temple, perhaps the Archbishop of Canterbury is slowly welcoming them back in. Those packed churches must be both joyful and rather melancholy occasions for the hard-working Vicars as they see their audience ebb away for another year. What price would they pay to have full Churches? If only it could be Christmas every week. Well in Bath they have started the process. Carols in November, what a great way to improve attendances. Why stop there? October, September...

After all, in 1747, when Bishop Johannes de Watteville invented the Christingle orange, did he really think the children would be more interested in the symbolism than the attached treats? I don't think so. He was just trying to boost his congregation.

11 comments:

  1. There should be laws about Christmas. The earliest (or latest!) I've seen Christmas things advertised was in August. Lets face it you're either 6 months too late or 6 months too f*^~:g early! If you want to boost your congregation you must be relevant to people and give them what they need, spiritual or physical help. Christianity is a "doing" faith, talk and decorated oranges are cheap! Mother Theresa never preached, she loved and cared and DID. The nuns who carry on her work to this day were maintly converts, because she changed their lives with her example. This is why the Church is dying in Europe, because we are all about "me" "me" "me".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the point of the article is to suggest that the Church is dying in europe because it is not about 'me, me'me'. If you want full Churches give them what they want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Devil's Avocado2 December 2010 at 15:03

    Yes another jump on the band wagon blog. What have you got to complain about? Christmas was hijacked by the Christian church along with many other Pagan festivals. Why can't the capitalists have their turn too? I suggest if you want to boost congregations and breath life into a dying church then come clean and stop fobbing us off with a load of outdated clap-trap. I know the word "clap-trap" may offend some of the more sensible readers but...
    We lie to our children about Father Christmas and the Easter Bunny, faintly wrapping the whole thing behind a religious myth. We see our children as "coming of age" when they shake these myths off and realise the con. Are we then supposed to stop them further delving into the various religious mythology in case they "throw the baby out with the dishwater"?
    Teresa when you say "give them what they need", can I ask who determines what "they need"? "Spiritual and physical help" covers pretty much everything and sounds typically vague.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Avo, did not want to be vague. Each person needs different things. A homeless person needs a home, a lonely person needs a friend. Also, we all need different things at different times in our life. The Christian mission is to go where the need is greatest. But at the same time, as individual Christians we all have our strengths. Mine for instance is teenagers. I love them and (generally ) they love me. I also have the power to cheer people up and make them feel welcome or important and so forth. I was not being vague, it's just trying to describe quickly a complicated situation. If the churches are empty, it's because they are failling to deliver on many fronts. Capitalism, consumerism and the egocentric life styles we live are enemies of faith number one and can't be tackled properly by a church that tries to fit in! Jesus was the King of controvercy!(not EMINEM). Jesus came to wake people up, not to sing them a lullaby. Carol services in November indeed! To coinside with the Christmas market! It make me want to puke. This type of organised religion that tries to kissarse the masses should become extinct as it deserves. For all the lovely thigs Joe describes, social cohesion, the greater good etc, we could invent new customs or go back to adopting what was there before Christianity (Christmas trees for instance). Some people like their whiskey staight others with mixers. When it comes to Christianity, I am of the former group.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgive me for living up to my name, but is a carol service in November bad (clearly ridiculous to me and I thought to the blogger) or good (wringing out every opportunity for us all to experience communal activity)?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good point for a Bimbo. I was trying to suggest that even to a carol-loving non-believer like me it felt wrong. It feels like the C of E are chasing ratings and such acts might diminish them in the eyes of those people left with genuine faith. Do they want full houses or a a few hardy believers?

    Clearly I need to become a bit more Daily Mail in my style. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Traditionally, Advent was a time of fasting (not feasting!). A physical preparation for a spiritual event. The feast started after midnight mass, which is midnight of the 24th to 25th. Feasting on Christmas, hangover on Boxing Day etc. And then as we now only know from the song were the 12 days of Christmas. Decorations went up on the 24th they came down 12 days later. If they stayed up, it was bad luck. Why "bad luck"? Because if you don't scare people into sticking to the rules,what you get is what we've got now, Christmas rammed down our throat for about 3 months of the year!!! The Samaritans were set up by a priest who noticed the rate of suicide, especially round Christmas. So, for a church to encourage or to add to this materialistic frenzy or 2-3months of overindulgance, it is wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahem, 1st Sunday in Advent, 28th November

    ReplyDelete
  9. My youngest, at first nativity play, was the only one in a dressing gown & tea towel rather than a Tesco Shepherd outfit. Is nothing sacred??? Mrs Eejit wouldn't let me send him in overalls, body warmer, cap & quad bike.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks eejit - Sorry, it was Thursday 25th November - typo! Is that still in advent?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm, you would have to refer up to higher ecclesiastical authority - Rev Mother Superior eejit - on that one

    ReplyDelete