Politics : Award Winning Viewpoints from Liberal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Friday 26 November 2010

This blog might change your life!

Lord Young: profile of David Cameron's 'enterprise czar'
Lord Young's remark that most Britons 'had never had it so good' received a great deal of criticism last week and saw him resign from his role as a government advisor. Given the current economic circumstances and the depth of the Coalition's cuts even David Cameron called the comment 'insensitive and inaccurate'. Insensitive, yes, but inaccurate? 

History TodayRolling news has a habit of picking up on these gaffes, cranking up the hyperbole and making more of them than is really necessary. "Tory makes insensitive remark about the the poor shocker!" "Cameron makes a dig at a man for being short!" It is not really news, is it? The problem with this sort of reporting is that it may fill airtime but it also generates a slightly fraught atmosphere. It betrays a tendency to play to the mob. 

The trouble with Young's remark is that from a historical perspective it may be true. Like a Don in Tom Sharpe's 'Porterhouse College' - historians (sorry real historians who read this) tend to find that 'current economic circumstances only last ten years or so'. From this perspective, even making allowances for the mirage of wealth during the highly inflated house-price boom - most of us really have never had it so good. Now calm down and let me explain. During my lifetime we have seen our country transformed. The grey, conservative world of my childhood has disappeared. Never again will tinned mushrooms be regarded as a rather sophisticated addition to a meal or orange juice be seen an acceptable starter in a restaurant. 

Our society has been transformed. A huge proportion of lives have been changed for the better. Sexual equality, racial equality, gay rights, a huge increase in the standard of living for the vast majority and, of course, the advent of 52 inch plasma TVs. As this blog testifies, I think there are still huge problems but the advent of the minimum wage, statutory housing responsibilities, free pre-school education demonstrates how successive governments have attempted to address the barriers to social inclusion to varying degrees. Yes, it's a work in progress but please don't get caught up in a sentimental vision of Britain. Have you read any of David Peace's novels?
sony-kdl-52×3500.jpg
Please don't take away my TV


Yet the sting in the tale is that despite all the improvements we are more unhappy than ever. In the highly respected Legatum Prosperity Index, which annually measures well-being across a range of eight indicators from economic to social cohesion, the UK came 13th but 20th in terms of life satisfaction. Compared to most 'developed' countries: we are more scared of crime, work longer hours, have an older retirement age and despite a very high level of political stability, a very low regard for our politicians. One of the saddest statistics was that only 35% of the population believed they could trust other people. In the top country, Norway, 74.2% felt they could trust others and even the USA beat us.

Since 1990 Richard Layard, now Baron Layard, has been promoting an alternative view of economics in his role as Programme Director at the Centre for Economic Performance at the LSE. Layard's work has become known as 'Happiness economics'. Briefly, he argues that relative rather than absolute income is the best indicator of happiness. People compare themselves to their peers and judge their 'happiness' accordingly. Increased purchasing power may make us unhappier if our position compared to others is worse. This effect may nullify any positive effects of economic growth and simply drive people to work harder in order to bridge the relative wealth gap. He calls this the rat race effect.


Richard layard

This research, however may seem like a debate that can only relate to the few very rich developed countries. It is no accident that the happiest countries are some of the wealthiest. At he very least it would be simplistic not to recognise that there is a minimum level of income that allows people to stop subsisting and instead start living. However, even leading free-market organisations have begun to advocate 'sharing the wealth'.

Layard's conclusions are supported by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). Their 2010 report demonstrates the happiest countries also have the least inequality in income between rich and poor. Meanwhile the significantly less satisfied Brits and Yanks have a much great divergence in wealth. The OECD also concludes that in order to maximise worldwide economic growth, policy-makers should address levels of income inequality. Economic growth is not enough. It is a win-win situation because they note, as an aside, that there may also be a 'poverty reduction dividend' attached to these measures.

David Cameron's announcement that the Coalition will spend £2 million in an attempt to measure our  happiness has been met with derision. The rolling news juggernaut has got to work already and the mob are at the gates. Let's hope he has the political courage to see this through. I think he may be onto something. Despite the 'historical' trend of growing wealth we are less happy. Making 'happiness' rather than purely economic growth the goal would could have a profound effect on the assumptions of our policy-makers. It's an exciting thought.


TICKLED PINK: Ken Dodd is profiled by Newsnight on BBC Two tomorrow
Pure economic interests might drive a foreign policy that lands us in Iraq, but would a policy based on broader outcomes like social cohesion do the same? We are constantly warned that our top bankers will flee to other countries if the government dares to regulate their activities. Well, according to the OECD, it is in virtually everybody's self-interest to let them go.

To think that Ken Dodd was right all along...

"To me this old world is a wonderful place
And I'm just about the luckiest human in the whole human race
I've got no silver and I've got no gold
Just a whole lot of happiness in my soul"




Please sign up for my circulation list. No details will be passed on.
canthingsonlygetbetter@googlemail.com

12 comments:

  1. The Devil's Avocado26 November 2010 at 13:55

    I've got to admit I'm a miserable sod. Spending far too much of my hours reading blogs and making up inane replies that no-one (bar Teresa) takes any interest in. I'd far rather be in a happy Norwegian. My wife's miserable too. As for your examples of how life's got better, sexual equality, race equality, gay rights and 52 inch plasmas. How does any of this apply to me. I'm married white man, i.e. no sex, no race issues, not gay and the kids own the TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Devil's Avocado26 November 2010 at 14:24

    Not wanting to labour my point about being miserable in a sexless marriage but the only one who does seem to be "giving it to me good" would be the bloody conservatives. So perhaps Lord Young's right after all. We have never had it so good, or for so long, for so hard and so repeatedly.
    Oh no, I forgot that time I got it good and hard repeatedly, from Thatcher...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thatcher? Was that when you were keeping it real at boarding school?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I take an interest in your views too, you wrinkly old pear. After working out it takes me 6 months of work before I take home any money, I then read that anthropologists studying Kalahari bushmen estimated their working week to be 30 hours. (No plasma TV, though)

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's not the amount of money you make, it is how you make it that matters. Also, what your money can do for you is far more important than how much you earn. We are so miserable because we live in a county with so little social justice, little social mobility, we are taxed so much that we work in order to get taxed and for no benefit to ourselves. In the happy world of haribo (where Joe lives)issues are being addressed, where I am I seem to be up against it all the time! As a woman, as a teacher who is too expensive to ever get another teaching job etc etc. I have just come back from a funeral in St Paul's, one of my ex students hung himself at the age of 24. A lovely lad with a kind hart, musical talent and loved by all. A victim of his blackness, his poverty and trapped in an impoverished community that has been victimised for decades. Thatcher, Blair.....I'm amazed you can spot differences!
    I see myself as a financial slave, here to work until I drop and even then I've got to pay for the coffin! Others can't even make it to financial slave, they are up against worst odds than me. Social justice is needed and I can't see that this could possibly be delivered by anyone in the current political system.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teresa, I'm sorry to hear about your ex-student.

    I hope that the post explains how an alternative policy priority is possible and would benefit everyone.

    I would argue that the disenfranchised populations you repeatedly talk about would benefit enormormously from the higher taxation that would arise from Richard Layard's policies. You would benefit too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that they want to find out how they can make us happy enough so they can carry on fleecing us to the max but without us getting so fed up that we are driven to smashing the place up, as those students did last week. Or the way the Greek public have been doing on and off for a few years. They want to create the illusion of well being so that they can rob us while we stare at our plasma tvs.
    I do like a conspiracy theory also I believe no who has would give up anything without a fight to someone who has not. It's the nature of the animal. We feel better about ourselves when we can look down on others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a depressing philosophy. If that is true we may as well give up then.

    It's not a conspiracy just the logical conclusion of the current set of asumptions about the benefit of economic markets. To change the outcomes we have to change the assumptions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know it's depressing, every step I take in my miserable life I feel I am under pressure and that i am constantly ripped off. It has led to a form of paranoia, I feel under siege by the capitalist system. On principle, I won't buy a Dyson, a vax, a Madona cd, anything to do with Ann Summers, the list is endless. I am the grumpiest woman I know, I am sure it is because I am not content to go and spend my hard earned cash on frivolities thinking this will be cheer me up when clearly changing the system that turns me into a walking wallet is what needs to be ditched.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Avocado is right, I do pay attention to what he says. He has in jest hit on a good point, for every group that feels more empowered there is another group who feel threatened, as in his case the white, heterosexual, male who is desperatly is looking for a new role in society since all the traditional ones are in flux. By the way "what no blog?" Is this fall out from Friday night or do you only blog Monday to Friday?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear, does loading a dishwasher or changing a nappy really make white heterosexual men feel threatened? As a WHM myself I can't say I am losing sleep over it.

    Yes, I only blog Mon-Fri, I wash all the clothes on a Saturday and scrub the floors on Sunday but I might watch Shirley Valentine later as a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Typical bloke! Can't multitask. A couple of days of housework and you have fallen behind with blogging. Or are you distracted after Shirley Valentine and your head is in the clouds. You should get yourself a nice cheap Eastern European person to do your cleaning. You should not find that theatening being a well balanced, in touch with your feminine side, WHM!!!!

    ReplyDelete